Sep 09 2011
I apologize that I haven’t had much to say this summer; it seems that we were off and running and doing so much “research” that I didn’t take the time to write much. Now that the routine of school has begun again, I’ll be writing about the new places we visited this summer in the hopes that readers can make us of our family’s experiences as they plan their future activities.
As always, I appreciate comments on posts, whether you’ve had similar or different experiences than we have. Travels with Children readers provided me with some excellent ideas and tips this summer via blog, Facebook, and Twitter comments, and I appreciate those who take the time to send things they think my readers will like.
But first, let’s catch up with some other family travelers to see what they enjoyed this summer.
- The American Gothic House of Eldon, Iowa, at Eccentric Roadside. (We need to add this to our Grant Wood stops.)
- Austin (TX) with Kids at The Talking Trekaroo.
- Biltmore Estate and Gardens with Children at Field Trips with Sue.
- Boonshoft Museum of Discovery, Dayton, Ohio, at Pit Stops for Kids.
- Celebrate 100 Years of the New York Public Library at Uptake Attractions. (Libraries and travel are two of my favorite things. Travel to libraries is absolutely perfect!)
- Disney Done Right: How to Survive (and Thrive) in Summer Crowds at Pit Stops for Kids.
- The Disneyland Resort with Kids: What Not to Miss by Age at The Talking Trekaroo.
- Do’s and Don’ts of Visiting Gettysburg at Uptake Attractions. (These are excellent tips. Read more about the Gettysburg Visitor Center and Audio Tour.)
- Flight 93 Temporary Memorial in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, at The Traveling Praters. (The memorial continues to evolve; since our visit there, a permanent memorial has been begun.)
- Fun at the Indiana State Fair at Arrows Sent Forth. (There’s a similar Little Farm Hands exhibit at the Minnesota State Fair, which our kids love.)
- Getting Dad on Board for a Trip to Disney World at the Vacation Gals.
- Inside Hoover Dam at 500 Places with Kids.
- Jacksonville (FL) Fire Museum at The Rocket Scientist’s Guide to Raising Kids.
- Niagara Falls: Pay for the Upgrades at Uptake Attractions.
- North Vancouver with Kids: Capilano Suspension Bridge at DeliciousBaby.
- Quacking Along in Ketchikan with Duck Tours at AK on the Go. (I wonder if they have the same “cheesy” humor that the Wisconsin Dells ducks tours do?)
- Remembering 9/11 at The Talking Trekaroo.
- Riding a Wave at the Mandalay Bay Beach (Las Vegas, NV) at 500 Places with Kids.
- The Roller Coaster at New York-New York Hotel: A Kid’s Eye View at 500 Places with Kids.
- September is Child Passenger Safety Month at The Safest Line
- Six Ways to Wait out the Rain on a Family Trip at Shermans Travel.
- Statue of Liberty Closes Just after 9/11 Memorial Opens at Pauline Frommer’s Daily Briefing.
- Stay at the Disneyland Hotel at Pitstops for Kids.
- Take a Family Road Trip without Looking Like the Griswolds at The Talking Trekaroo.
- Ten Places Families Will Enjoy in San Antonio at The Talking Trekaroo.
- Tips for Visiting Colonial Williamsburg with Kids at The Mother of All Trips.
- Tips for Visiting South Dakota’s Badlands National Park at the Vacation Gals.
- Top Family Attractions in Clearwater Beach, Florida, at the Vacation Gals.
- Top Five Family-Friendly Things to Do in Vancouver at The Q Family Adventures.
- Top Five Things to Do with Kids in Colonial Williamsburg at The Mother of All Trips.
- Top Ten Family-Friendly Things to Do in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, at The Q Family Adventures.
- Top Ten Things to Do with Teens and Tweens in Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula at Travel with Tweens and Teens.
- Under the Weather on the Road? 9 Tips to Get You Through at Talk of the Country.
- Vacation Souvenirs to Remember at 500 Places with Kids. (They have the same souvenir idea that our family does!)
- Visiting the John Deere Pavilion in Moline, IL, at Uptake Attractions. (The last time I was there, I only had two children and hadn’t even thought of a blog. It’s time for this farm gal to go back again.)
- Walking the Vegas Strip at 500 Places with Kids.
- World’s Largest Crayon (Easton, PA) at Go BIG or Go Home. (Our family was not enamored with the Crayola Factory, but I did think the giant crayon was pretty cool.)
- World’s Largest Teapot in Chester, West Virginia, at Midwest Guest.
- Zipline Tours: A “Tree”mendous Family Vacation at Road Trips for Families.
- 3 Safety Tips for Visiting Big Cities with Kids at Uptake Vacations.
- 5 Fab Freebies in Saratoga Springs, New York at We Just Got Back.
- 6 Tips for Visiting the Statue of Liberty at Kidventurous. (The Statue of Liberty was one of our favorite stops on our Pennsylvania trip.)
- 10 Free Things to Do with Kids at Disney World at Frommer’s. (See also 11 Things: Walt Disney World here at Travels with Children for some tried-and-true ideas.)
- 12 Reasons to Visit New York’s Finger Lakes with Kids at Frommer’s.
Have you ever thought of giving your kids a try at blogging? A new website, A Kid’s I View, gives kids the chance to submit stories about places they’ve visited. My sons wrote their first blog posts this summer about Pikes Peak and CityMuseum in St. Louis.