Jun 17 2011

The Chipper in Fargo, North Dakota

Do you remember the movie Fargo?  I do.  When it was released, I was a graduate student in Indiana, land of the near-drawl, and I was the only one around with vocal patterns that matched Marge Gunderson’s.  I got a lot of ribbing about it, and the good people of Fargo got their fair share of teasing as well.

Fifteen years later, the Fargo-Moorhead Convention and Visitors Bureau has embraced its Fargo-ness, and on the lawn of its visitor center, has installed its own tribute to the movie.

That’s right, there’s a chipper on the front lawn of the visitor’s center.  If you’ve seen the movie, you’re probably chuckling right now.  If you haven’t, well, sorry, I’m not going to explain the chipper here.

What do you think? Has Fargo done the right thing by embracing the film that made fun of it?  Or is having a chipper on your front lawn just a bit strange?  Would you stop to see the chipper?

Personally, if I’m in the Red River Valley of North Dakota, the kind of chipper I’d prefer comes from Widman’s candy shop.  It’s much more appetizing.

Want to see more (slightly less strange) travel photos?  Visit Photo Friday at DeliciousBaby.

Published by at 7:25 am under Roadside Attractions
Tags: , ,

7 Comments to “The Chipper in Fargo, North Dakota”

1. Nicole at Arrows Sent Forth on 17 Jun 2011 at 7:05 pm

I didnt know you went to school in Indiana! It is the land of the near drawl, huh? Not quite Kentucky/southern, a little Chicago/Michigan mixed in.

2. minnemom on 17 Jun 2011 at 7:41 pm

Yes, I was just a bit out of place accent-wise in Bloomington. :-)

3. Sonja on 17 Jun 2011 at 9:29 pm

OMG I totally get the chipper! My husband and I quote that phrase regularly! Thanks for the chuckle!

4. Bridget Smith on 17 Jun 2011 at 11:38 pm

Yeah, I could live without that one. I’d take some chocolate covered potato chips or a chocolate soda from Widman’s over that every day. (They also have a store in Crookston Mn). That movie was pretty unforgettable, but I hope that Fargo could be remembered for something better.

5. Cathy Spicer on 24 Jun 2011 at 9:48 pm

Too cool Linda! I will have to make sure to stop by the next time I pass through Fargo. I can only imagine what pose my husband will come up with. I’m a Widman’s fan too…I actually love their chocolate covered green olives and jalapenos too. Yummy!

6. Brian on 11 Feb 2012 at 2:20 pm

This is so great! Glad you stopped by and ran into the wood chipper! Since then they have added the original movie prop and launched a small exhibit featuring memorabilia from the film. You can check it out at thewoodchipper.org :) I hope you enjoyed your visit to Fargo. Oh, and yes…Chippers are really good. (Both the chocolate covered potato chips and the movie prop!)

7. Duke on 11 Feb 2012 at 2:58 pm

Dude, don’t forget to go in and see the actual movie prop Woodchipper! The one one the front lawn is just a decoy!
    And don’t forget to mention “Fargofest”. They have a big celebration of the movie downtown. “Like” The Woodchipper in Fargo on Facebook to get all the details!