May 28 2011
If you arrived at Travels with Children by way of the Star Tribune’s family page, welcome! I write about family travel, and in particular, my family’s travel to places near and far. On this site, you’ll find ideas for metro-area fun, daytrips and getaways in Minnesota, and road trips around the USA, all with a frugal twist on traveling with a bigger-than-average family.
Please look around and leave comments on things that interest you; or visit the Travels with Children Facebook page to keep up with the site plus local tips and deals.
Are you looking for family fun this summer? Perhaps some of these articles will interest you:
- There are a number of interesting, family-friendly destinations within a day’s drive of the Twin Cities. A weekend getaway to Sioux Falls includes one of our family’s favorite science museums, the Kirby Science Discovery Center, plus a lot more. 11 Things: Sioux Falls will show you the highlights. A drive down the Mississippi River to Dubuque, Iowa, is an interesting family road trip.
- A museum membership can be a great way to support a museum you love, along with the benefit of free visits to other places along your path. Through reciprocal memberships, our family has been able to visit a wide variety of science museums, children’s museums, and zoos around the United States. This summer, we’re hoping to use our Minnesota Historical Society membership to check off the last six state historic sites.
- Our outings don’t always involve museums or parks. A stop at a new library or even a car wash can be interesting. Our family also stops for historical markers and the world’s largest (or smallest) anything.
- Different families enjoy different types of travel. I share what works for us in Why I Prefer Road Trips to Airplane Travel and The Vacation that Fits You Best, as well as why we travel with our young children.
- Read about the souvenirs that our family collects along the way: Christmas ornaments and books.
- I offer tips on various topics, like finding a hotel room for a family of six, packing for a winter road trip or parking at the Minnesota State Fair.
- My “11 Things” series is a great way for readers to share their favorite locations. Examples are 11 Things at Walt Disney World; Aberdeen, SD; Golden, CO; and Decorah, IA. Do you have a favorite family destination? Consider submitting your own 11 Things article.
- Sometimes I lay out a trip itinerary (like our Christmas trip to St. Louis). Sometimes I write an honest day-by-day account of a long road trip (like our 17-day trip to Philadelphia a few years ago). Sometimes I show a photo or a video of a particular place we’ve visited, like the Mississippi Headwaters.
- Family-travel bloggers from around the country are experts in their areas. Each month, I put together a list of interesting places they’ve written about. Check out the latest Finding More Fun post for ideas from around the United States.
- I live on a farm and brave the Minnesota winters, and sometimes I write about those topics, as well as telling the story of how a small-town girl from North Dakota started writing a blog about traveling with children.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ll return soon!