Jul 31 2010
The world of camping is somewhat new to us; we purchased a (well-used) travel trailer a year ago and are enjoying time spent away from home in our house on wheels.
With six people and a 26′ camper, however, we find that space is at a premium, and I’ve been looking for ways to stretch our storage so that we have room for all of us as well as the stuff we need when camping. Here are some solutions I’ve found.
- Turn the shower into a closet. We camp at places that have decent showers, so we’ve never used the tiny shower in the camper. A tension shower rod (set on a mounted bracket for more strength) and some Ikea Skubb hanging organizers changed the shower area into an organized closet for less than $40.
- Although there is adequate drawer space in the kitchen, I hate reaching in the drawer to find sharp knives. After looking at some fancy wall-mounted magnetic knife racks, I devised my own with some strong magnets from the hardware store ($2.50 for 2) and some Command Adhesive strips. For about $12, I have a knife rack that can easily be removed whenever I want. No nails necessary.
- It seems that there are never enough towel bars, so some Command Adhesive hooks and over-door racks have served as extra places to hang towels and washcloths.
- I had a hanging toiletry bag, but no good place to hang it. My new Vera Bradley hanging organizer is just right to fit in the 11″ space of the narrow bathroom towel rack. (Remember, I’ve already installed hooks for the towels…)
- We travel with a laptop, iPod, and cell phones, and we need ways to charge these items overnight. Some Command Adhesive recharging stations and organizers (yes, I’m a big Command Adhesive fan–even the TV’s converter box is Commanded to the bottom of the cupboard) and a small power strip that can be turned in any direction serve as good ways to keep us powered up while on the go.
Have you found ways to use your camper space more efficiently? I’d love to hear them. Please comment below.
I purchased all of these items at various places, but just so you know, if you click on a link in this post and buy something from Amazon, I’ll get a few pennies for referring you to the products.