Mar 13 2010
Louis Larson, a Swedish emigrant, found the falls on the Crow River in 1860. In 1861 he built a cabin nearby and the following year started a dam and sawmill.
On August 17, 1862, the Dakota Indian War broke out. Larson and all the settlers in the area were forced to flee for safety and did not return until 1865.
Larson and Samuel Stone, returned to find the dam washed out. The rebuilt the dam and sawmill and added a gristmill. Settlers came from miles around for lumber, flour and other needs. Larson named the town New London after New London, Wisconsin. By 1868 New London had grown to forty people, three stores and a blacksmith shop. It was the county seat of Mononagalia County from 1866 to 1870 when it merged with Kandiyohi County. The original court house still stands, identified on Main Street.
Sponsored by the Kandiyohi County Historical Society and erected in [can't see date].