Mar 05 2010

Photo Friday: Classic Walgreens Sign in San Antonio, Texas

I had read about an old Walgreens sign when I was making plans for our Texas vacation, but I had forgotten to make it part of our itinerary.  I was pleasantly surprised, then, when we emerged from the parking garage on our way to the San Antonio Children’s Museum and saw this:

Classic Walgreens Sign, San Antonio, TX

Classic Walgreens Sign, San Antonio, TX

It’s a treat for me to find traces of the old among modern things.

The Walgreens sign (and store) are located at the corner of Houston and Navarro in downtown San Antonio, across the street from the San Antonio Children’s Museum and just a few doors down from the Buckhorn Saloon and Museum.

To see more travel photos, visit Photo Fridays at DeliciousBaby.

6 Comments to “Photo Friday: Classic Walgreens Sign in San Antonio, Texas”

1. Amy @ The Q Family on 05 Mar 2010 at 7:38 am

That’s so cool. I love to see all these original sign.

2. Dominique on 05 Mar 2010 at 3:11 pm

I don’t think I ever saw one of these. Guess I always thought of Walgreens as a newer company. What vintage is this sign?
    .-= Dominique´s last blog ..Photo Friday: Cherry Bowl Drive-in =-.

3. minnemom on 05 Mar 2010 at 3:57 pm

Dominique, the sign is from 1936. Here’s more info: http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/MYSA020108_01C_walgreens_2f27b53_html.html

4. Amy @ Pitstops for Kids on 05 Mar 2010 at 4:34 pm

That’s very cool. I like seeing the old amongst the new too.
    .-= Amy @ Pitstops for Kids´s last blog ..Cantrall Buckley County Park =-.

5. jessiev on 05 Mar 2010 at 6:42 pm

very cool sign – i love those old ones. sometimes the only time you see them is in those awful chain restaurants.
    .-= jessiev´s last blog ..Shakespeare at the Guthrie Website Launched Today =-.

6. Debbie Ferm on 06 Mar 2010 at 8:58 pm

I’ve never seen that version of the Walgreen’s sign either. I’m from a small town in Wisconsin, so there are lot’s of things I didn’t see until I left for college:)

Such simple photos are sometimes the most interesting.
    .-= Debbie Ferm´s last blog ..California Coast =-.