Feb 26 2010

Photo Friday: Things Found in a Barn

When it comes to travel, you may find interesting things in most unexpected places.  You may also find that things that were once part of your everyday life take on new significance when you return to your former home, now as a traveler.  That is what happened this summer when I went home to North Dakota and took my camera to the farm where I grew up.

Although this may not be a typical travel post, I think it is important nonetheless.  After all, one person’s journey is another’s home.  I invite you to travel to my home through the eye of the camera.

I spent many hours painting this barn.

I spent many hours painting this barn.

We learned to drive a stick-shift in this pickup, in the middle of a field. Drivers license at age 14.

The water truck is a '46 and still runs.

The water truck is a '46 and still runs.

Old equipment in the barn, which was used when it was filled with animals.

Old equipment in the barn, which was used when it was filled with animals.

The grain cleaner. The label of "new" is quite ironic.

The grain cleaner. The label of "new" is quite ironic.

Collection of pitchforks.

Collection of pitchforks.

The pulley has a rustic beauty now, but once saw a lot of use.

The pulley has a rustic beauty now, but once saw a lot of use.

This hinge has seen better days.

This hinge has seen better days.

How many gallons of milk were carried in this bucket?

How many gallons of milk were carried in this bucket?

This is still a working farm, but it’s seen better days, as much of North Dakota has.  The website Ghosts of North Dakota is attempting to document towns in the state that have seen their demise and is worth a look if you enjoy photos like these.

For more travel photos, visit Photo Fridays at Delicious Baby.

Published by at 12:07 am under Roadside Attractions
Tags: , ,

7 Comments to “Photo Friday: Things Found in a Barn”

1. Angela Nickerson on 26 Feb 2010 at 1:16 am

There is a real poetry and romance on a farm that you captured gorgeously. :)
    .-= Angela Nickerson´s last blog ..Goth Loli Girls in Sacramento =-.

2. Victoria on 26 Feb 2010 at 8:19 am

It’s fascinating how once everyday, utilitarian objects become something much more significant once they are abandoned. Beautiful photos.
    .-= Victoria´s last blog ..Gong Hei Fat Choi =-.

3. Amy @ The Q Family on 26 Feb 2010 at 1:02 pm

Very interesting pictures of all things you can find in the barn. Really love the truck and amaze that it’s still running.
    .-= Amy @ The Q Family´s last blog ..Flying With Kids – Things to Know Before You Board That Flight =-.

4. Dominique on 26 Feb 2010 at 8:19 pm

I find some of the most interesting stories closest to home-and this post sort of reminds me of the photowalk I did around my hometown with a group…picturing the details make for particularly interesting photos, too.
    .-= Dominique´s last blog ..Photo Friday: Rosa Parks bus at The Henry Ford =-.

5. jackie on 26 Feb 2010 at 10:41 pm

Great shots!

6. Debbie Dubrow on 28 Feb 2010 at 10:28 am

Wow, what lovely photos. Thanks so much for sharing
    .-= Debbie Dubrow´s last blog ..Photo Friday: A Sign of the Times =-.

7. Debbie Ferm on 28 Feb 2010 at 7:30 pm

I love old items like those. Reminds me of my Grandparents house growing up. It makes me very nostalgic:)

Speaking of North Dakota, we just had a hockey tournament for my 10 year old son in Fargo this weekend. Who the heck wants to go from Minnesota to Fargo for a spring vacation? Meh:)
    .-= Debbie Ferm´s last blog ..Disney Volunteer Day =-.