Jan 22 2010

Mystery Photo Friday: Where Did I Find These Oil Wells?

Below are photos of two oil wells.  They appear to be quite similar, but they’re located in very different places.  Can you guess where each was found?

Louisiana oil well.JPG

This first one is from Louisiana, and was located just down the road from some huge refineries. I always thought of Texas as being oil country, but Louisiana is right next door and has its fair share as well.

Oil Well

The location of the second one may surprise you. It’s from western North Dakota, near Tioga.

Site of 1st ND Oil Well

Oil was discovered in North Dakota in 1951, and it remains a large part of North Dakota’s economy. The northwestern part of the state is dotted with many oil wells like the one pictured.

To see more travel photos, visit Photo Fridays at DeliciousBaby.

Published by at 1:22 am under Historic Markers
Tags: , ,

5 Comments to “Mystery Photo Friday: Where Did I Find These Oil Wells?”

1. Dominique on 23 Jan 2010 at 10:58 am

We’ve also seen a number of oil wells in Michigan (especially mid-southern Lower Peninsula).
    I always think wells like these look like big, goofy birds pecking at the ground.
    .-= Dominique´s last blog ..Photo Friday: More Manistee, Michigan, views =-.

2. minnemom on 23 Jan 2010 at 7:38 pm

I didn’t know there were oil wells in Michigan. We were surprised to see many in Ohio last year; we kept the kids busy by seeing who could find more on “their” side of the car.

Linda

3. Sharlene on 27 Jan 2010 at 11:34 pm

We have our fair share of oil wells in CA but I had no idea North Dakota was an oil producing state as well. Thank you for the factoid.
    .-= Sharlene´s last blog ..Punchbowl =-.

4. DOROTHY CHAPPLE on 22 Feb 2010 at 8:50 am

In 1925 the first commercial 0il field in Saginaw,Mi. There are 57 oil wells in Saginaw County, producing 8,214 barrels (a barrel is 42 gallons), of crude oil in 2007.

5. minnemom on 22 Feb 2010 at 11:08 am

Dorothy, thanks for the info. I didn’t know there were oil fields in Michigan. Thanks for letting me know!

Linda