Jan 08 2010

Christmas Pyramid in Fredericksburg, Texas

When I was a little girl, I was always entranced by the Christmas pyramids brought back by friends who had visited Germany. By lighting the candles, enough wind was formed to make it turn round and round. It was delightful to watch.

Fredericksburg, Texas, however, has a larger-than-life Christmas pyramid, handcrafted in Germany, with a plaque that explains the tradition.

Fredericksburg TX 6.JPG

It’s big.

Fredericksburg TX 3.JPG

And on a beautiful winter day of 70 degrees with clear, blue skies, it’s a sight to behold.

Fredericksburg TX 9.JPG

The Christmas pyramid is located in Fredericksburg’s Marktplatz, near the Vereins Kirche (which is visible at the left of the second photograph). I believe it’s been taken down for this year, so if you want to see it, you’ll have to wait until next Christmas.

To see more travel photos, visit Photo Friday at DeliciousBaby.
To see more Texas photos, check out Wandering Off.

13 Comments to “Christmas Pyramid in Fredericksburg, Texas”

1. Dominique on 08 Jan 2010 at 11:26 am

I’ve always been curious about these pyramids and wondered how they twirled. Now I know :)
    .-= Dominique´s last blog ..Photo Friday: Frankfort, Michigan, beach in winter =-.

2. wandermom on 08 Jan 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’ve never even heard of Christmas Pyramids.
    Guess that’s my something new learned for today :)
    thanks for sharing.
    .-= wandermom´s last blog ..The Oregon Trail At Whitman Mission =-.

3. Angela Nickerson on 08 Jan 2010 at 2:31 pm

That’s sooo cool! We had one when I was a child, and it was absolutely mesmerizing.
    .-= Angela Nickerson´s last blog ..The Gypsy’s Project365 =-.

4. Sarah V. on 08 Jan 2010 at 3:20 pm

So glad you all enjoyed Fredericksburg! I really like the second shot…it gives a sense of the pyramid’s height. I read somewhere that this is the largest Christmas pyramid in the U.S.
    .-= Sarah V.´s last blog ..Flower (and Cactus) Power =-.

5. Jen on 08 Jan 2010 at 4:00 pm

That is so neat! When we went to Germany last Christmas I was in search of the perfect one and had so much fun opening it up and putting it together this year! So pretty!
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..A Cooking Lesson =-.

6. Bridget Smith on 08 Jan 2010 at 4:35 pm

What an amazing contraption! My kids would be fascinated. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Bridget Smith´s last blog ..Photo Friday: What My Kids WON’T Be Doing on Our Next Vacation! =-.

7. Sharlene on 08 Jan 2010 at 9:50 pm

I have always wondered what those were called. I have been wanting one since I first saw National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Now I know the name. You don’t know how happy I am. How cool that they have such a big one.
    .-= Sharlene´s last blog ..Road Trip Day 22- Bryce Canyon NP Navajo Loop Trail =-.

8. maria on 09 Jan 2010 at 9:48 am

My mother-in-law has a beautiful old Christmas pyramid inherited by her mum (from Berlin) and my son was fascinated by it this year, but the giant one in Texas is out of this world, I have never seen anything like it!
    .-= maria´s last blog ..Photo Friday: A typical Nativity in Sardinia =-.

9. Sandra Foyt on 09 Jan 2010 at 6:44 pm

I have one that I picked up at Target (of all places!) a few years back, but I never knew their name or history. Thanks for solving the mystery!
    .-= Sandra Foyt´s last blog ..How To Write The SAHM Blogger Resume =-.

10. [...] we’ve been meaning to visit. And Linda over at Travels With Children shared a photo of the Christmas Pyramid in Fredericksburg. We saw it this year too, and agree – it’s definitely [...]

11. [...] the winter, the Marktplatz is also home to a large Christmas Pyramid and a skating rink. Fredericksburg is a popular day-trip destination for people from the Austin and [...]

12. Pedernales Falls State Park, Texas on 05 Jul 2010 at 9:01 am

[...] the Texas Hill Country is filled with interesting towns such as Fredericksburg and Bandera, there are also a number of natural features that visitors may enjoy.  One of these is [...]

13. [...] Falls, near Johnson City, Texas.  These falls in Texas Hill Country are more rolling than falling, but are beautiful nonetheless.  The wide, flat rocks call people [...]