Dec 17 2009

North Dakota’s Enchanted Highway

If you remember my photos from the Land of Evermor a few weeks ago, you’ve seen what can be done by recycling metal and making it into art.

The Land of Evermor, however, is downright tiny compared to another series of metal sculptures.  The Enchanted Highway runs from Regent to Gladstone, North Dakota.  A 30-mile drive from I-94 south to Regent will allow you to see all of the sculptures, one every few miles.  They’re big.  They’re beautiful.  And they’ve served their creator’s purpose, of getting people off the Interstate and traveling through the small towns.

The Enchanted Highway is known far and wide.  One of my friends was a presenter at a conference in Florida, and asked if anyone knew anything about North Dakota.  The Enchanted Highway was one of the first things mentioned.

All it takes to enjoy the Enchanted Highway is a car and an extra hour or so to drive the entire road.  If you want to stop and take pictures, or have a picnic at one of the roadside parks located at each sculpture, it will take a little longer.  At the end of the road, you can stop for a cup of coffee or ice cream cone at one of the shops in Regent.  (Proceeds from the Enchanted Highway Gift Shop and donations are the sole source of funding for future works.)

The Enchanted Highway sculptures encompass various themes, styles, and colors.  Which one is your favorite?

Deer Crossing:
Enchanted Highway Deer Crossing

Teddy Rides Again:
Enchanted Highway Teddy Rides Again

Pheasants on the Prairie:
Enchanted Highway Pheasants on the Prairie

World’s Largest Tin Family:
Enchanted Highway Tin Family

Fisherman’s Dream:
Enchanted Highway Fisherman's Dream

Grasshopper’s Delight:
Enchanted Highway Grasshopper's Delight

Geese in Flight:
Enchanted Highway Geese in Flight

To see more travel photos, visit Photo Fridays at DeliciousBaby.

20 Comments to “North Dakota’s Enchanted Highway”

1. Sarah V. on 18 Dec 2009 at 12:02 am

How fun! Yet another place to add to my travel wishlist…it keeps getting longer. :)
    .-= Sarah V.´s last blog ..Weird Ducks in Boerne, Texas =-.

2. Carolina on 18 Dec 2009 at 12:03 am

I’m trying to pick my favorite but it’s so hard, because they are too cool. But now that I look again, it’s the pheasants, they’re funny, so they’re my favorite.
    .-= Carolina´s last blog ..Photo Friday: Snowball Fight =-.

3. jamie on 18 Dec 2009 at 12:12 am

Well worth the detour! Especially for me, since I was able to see them on my laptop…from my bed…
    .-= jamie´s last blog ..Tea Tasting in Chinatown =-.

4. minnemom on 18 Dec 2009 at 7:15 am

Ah, yes, Sarah, my travel list keeps growing as well. So many interesting things to see!

5. minnemom on 18 Dec 2009 at 7:16 am

My kids loved Fisherman’s Dream, and I think Teddy Rides Again was my favorite. Each one’s so different.

I believe the new one he’s working on is a spiderweb.

6. minnemom on 18 Dec 2009 at 7:17 am

Jamie, sometimes it’s just as good to tour from home!

7. jessiev on 18 Dec 2009 at 10:19 am

i love these! (and seeing green, while it is white outside!)…what fun. we’ll have to head there sometime. thank you!
    .-= jessiev´s last blog ..Take the Walkin’ Broadway Audio Tour with CityListen =-.

8. ATravelAroundTheWorld on 18 Dec 2009 at 1:13 pm

I really like the picture of the deer crossing, it is a very nice place…
    .-= ATravelAroundTheWorld´s last blog ..Snapshot of the week: Hinchinbrook Iisland =-.

9. TheWordWire on 18 Dec 2009 at 3:31 pm

How cool! I particularly love the Geese in Flight. I’ve never been to North Dakota, but if I go, I’ll travel by enchanted highway. Thanks for sharing!
    .-= TheWordWire´s last blog ..Photo Friday: Home of the Tree That Owns Itself =-.

10. Sandra Foyt on 19 Dec 2009 at 10:06 am

Love the Deer Crossing! They look just like the deer in our neighborhood, maybe just a tad bigger!
    .-= Sandra Foyt´s last blog ..Moving On Up at the Oxfam Hunger Banquet =-.

11. Dominique on 19 Dec 2009 at 3:12 pm

I need to keep this one in mind for late spring…we’re pretty serious about going back out to the Dakotas this year :)

There sure are a lot of BIG things out there in North Dakota, aren’t there :lol:
    .-= Dominique´s last blog ..Photo Friday: Chicago’s Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows =-.

12. minnemom on 20 Dec 2009 at 1:45 pm

Dominique,

Late spring would be perfect. We were there in late May/early June–opening night for the Medora Musical; things were open but not busy. It was so lush and green then as well.

Happy travels!

Linda

13. Nancy D. Brown on 25 Dec 2009 at 11:31 pm

I liked the pheasants and the geese. Thanks for sharing.
    .-= Nancy D. Brown´s last blog ..Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer – Travel Gear Review =-.

14. darcie on 28 Dec 2009 at 9:40 pm

I’m embarrassed to admit this – but I grew up in North Dakota and didn’t know this existed! I think this is a must do for our family on our next trip *home* ~
    awesome!
    .-= darcie´s last blog ..I give up… =-.

15. minnemom on 28 Dec 2009 at 9:44 pm

Darcie, don’t feel bad, it wasn’t there when I grew up. I hadn’t heard of it until my parents drove it on their way to Medora a few years ago. Definitely add it to your list, though!

Linda

16. Jack - eyeflare travel on 03 Jan 2010 at 12:27 pm

Those are great, I like the cowboy one. Not what you’d expect along a road in N.D. Hope it helps local businesses get customers too.
    .-= Jack – eyeflare travel´s last blog ..Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach =-.

17. Nepal Travel on 22 Jan 2010 at 8:01 am

i like Pheasants on the Prairie and Grasshopper’s Delight. picture looks live picture. child will enjoy very much to travel like this place

18. Femiluv on 20 Mar 2010 at 8:22 pm

The Enchanted Highway was awesome~!!!

19. Nepal Package Tours on 04 Oct 2010 at 3:59 am

I love that deer jumping

20. [...] of Pheasants on the Prairie    photo source 3. World’s largest ball of paint, Alexandria, [...]