Sep 18 2009

North Dakota Landscape

If you’ve been following my Photo Friday posts, you’ve likely learned more about North Dakota than you ever thought you wanted to know.  You’ve seen the beautiful Badlands of Theodore Roosevelt National Park as well as the rolling hills and buttes of the Old Red/Old Ten Scenic Byway.  What I’ll share with you today is the North Dakota that I most closely relate to, the flat land.

I grew up just outside the Red River Valley, a fertile glacial valley that produces such crops as potatoes and sugar beets, as well as the more conventional wheat, corn, and soybeans.  Perhaps the most notable thing about the Red River Valley is how flat it is.  You may recall the floods that required the evacuation of the cities of Grand Forks and East Grand Forks in 1997; once the water breached the levee, it just spread and spread and spread.  The city of Grand Forks, except for one or two neighborhoods nearest the river, is completely and absolutely flat.  (This is a good thing for anyone who likes easy bicycle rides or had to learn to drive a rear-wheel-drive vehicle in icy winter conditions.)

The Red River Valley looks like this.  This first photo was taken about 20 miles west of the Red River.

Red River Valley

The second is just a few miles from the river.  The trucks that you can see are on the Interstate, over a mile away.

Red River Valley flatland

As I said, I am quite accustomed to the flat lands of eastern North Dakota, and I had visited the rolling hills and the Badlands before.  When we were traveling in western North Dakota, south of Williston, however, I was surprised to see this.

Yellowstone River Valley 5

The Yellowstone River Valley is every bit as flat as the Red River Valley!  This is only about 40 miles from the north unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

Yellowstone River and Valley

If anyone tries to tell you that North Dakota is boring and never changes, please remember these posts that tell a different story, that of the varied landscape of North Dakota.  Better yet, visit North Dakota and see it for yourself.

To see more travel photos, visit Photo Fridays at DeliciousBaby.

8 Comments to “North Dakota Landscape”

1. Jen@TwoKidsandaMap on 18 Sep 2009 at 10:04 am

One of the things that struck me when we traveled to this area is the way that the beautiful white puffy clouds look like they were painted or dropped into the landscape! Your pictures capture exactly what I remember!

2. Dominique on 18 Sep 2009 at 8:30 pm

We can’t wait to be able to get back out to the Dakotas! We drove through North Dakota because I wanted to spend ones there (long story), but ended up wanting to go back and spend more time there–especially at Roosevelt NP.

3. Lorraine on 18 Sep 2009 at 11:39 pm

I like seeing the seedlings popping up through the earth. I think the idea of an easy bicycle ride through North Dakota sounds right on!

4. Sharlene on 19 Sep 2009 at 11:45 am

Wow- it certainly is flat. So different from the varied geography that I am used to in CA. But it does hold a different kind of beauty. I am hard pressed to find a state in the US that doesn’t have a multitude of beauty.

5. jessiev on 20 Sep 2009 at 11:03 am

GORGEOUS photos. the red river valley is so beautiful.
    .-= jessiev´s last blog ..Little Passports: Japan =-.

6. marina k. villatoro on 20 Sep 2009 at 2:20 pm

I have never been to the Dakotas, however, these pictures really remind me of Kansas as well and the priaries of Colorado.

7. [...] south.  I didn’t realize the Mississippi River valley was so flat–almost like the Red River Valley in North Dakota.  We saw fields of cotton and rice that still had stalks standing, and a lot of flooding from the [...]

8. Landscaping Ideas for Front Yard on 20 Apr 2011 at 2:59 pm

I lived in Colorado for a while and I really enjoyed the outdoors there. I never made it to the Dakotas but would like to. Thanks for the pictures, they are beautiful!
    Landscaping Ideas for Front Yard´s last [type] ..Incorporate Flowers into Your Landscaping Ideas for Front Yard