Aug 28 2009

Glen Ullin Roller Mills

A few miles west of Curlew, ND, is the town of Glen Ullin.  With a population of 800, Glen Ullin is faring better than its gone-but-not-forgotten neighbors of Sims, North Almont, and Curlew.  Several businesses line its main street, and there’s a still hustle and bustle in town.

Glen Ullin Roller Mills

My favorite part of Glen Ullin, though, was the Roller Mills building.  Roller mills grind wheat into flour, and like creameries, used to be a part of many small towns in rural America.  Today, few remain.

To view more travel photos, visit Photo Friday at DeliciousBaby.

7 Comments to “Glen Ullin Roller Mills”

1. Caitlin - Roaming Tales on 28 Aug 2009 at 3:21 pm

That scene looks so classically American. Love it!

2. Carolina on 28 Aug 2009 at 7:29 pm

I love how the sky looks that day. Great photo.

3. marina k. villatoro on 28 Aug 2009 at 8:02 pm

I have to say, you have the best small town pictures I’d ever seen. It actually makes me yearn to visit these places!

4. Dominique on 28 Aug 2009 at 10:35 pm

I agree with Caitlin–this is pretty classic Americana.

5. Lorraine on 28 Aug 2009 at 10:49 pm

Just finished reading The Long Winter with my daughter, which is one in the series of Little House books. I recall they had to grind wheat into flour for an entire winter out of a little coffee grinder just to survive on bread. Too bad they didn’t have Roller Mills when they needed it! Great photo – thanks for sharing this part of the country.

6. [...] now you’ve seen my entries on Sims, Curlew, North Almont, and Glen Ullin, North Dakota.  These towns made a definite impression on my during our North Dakota travels. They [...]

7. Brigette on 22 Sep 2012 at 2:47 pm

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the roller mills in Glen Ullin have been torn down :(