Aug 25 2009
It’s that time of year again, the Minnesota State Fair. Last year I braved the fair alone with the kids, but this year my husband plans to come with us. The fair doesn’t start until Thursday, but I’m already making our day-trip packing list. Here’s what we’ll take:
- A stroller (or two). My youngest are 5 and 3 now, and we seldom use a stroller any more, but the State Fair is kind of like Disney World–you do so much walking that little legs wear out by the end of the day. It’s also nice to have a place to keep all the goodies we collect during the day. So we’ll take one small stroller, and possibly two, for the day.
- Tickets. We bought our adult tickets ahead of time this year to save a few bucks, and some ride tickets for the kids as well. When they’re gone, they’re gone. We’ll likely attend on one of the thrifty or kid days, so the rides will require fewer tickets as well. You can buy advance tickets through Wednesday, the day before the fair starts.
- ID Bracelets for the kids. We’ll get these at the front gate so that if one of them should be separated from us, fair officials will be able to contact us. It’s a nice service provided by the Minnesota State Fair.
- Camera. Even if we don’t take a lot of pictures during the day, I’ll take pictures of the kids before we enter the fairgrounds, again in case of someone getting lost. (No, I don’t plan to lose anyone, but I like to be prepared.)
- Hats and sunscreen. We’ll spend a lot of time in the sun.
- Bare-necessities backpack. Wallet with cash, credit cards, ID, medical info but the other 1000 membership cards taken out. Spare keys for the car. Small first-aid kit. Cell phone. Pens for filling out drawing slips.
- Empty canvas tote bag for carrying fair freebies.
- Water bottles? Maybe. Everyone can manage a drinking fountain now. It may depend on the weather forecast.
- Our spirit of adventure. Will we try the new Spam food booth? Or some other new fair foods?
What will you take to the Great Minnesota Get-together?
- Minnesota State Fair with Kids: What to Hit, What to Miss
- Celebrity Sightings at the Minnesota State Fair
- Minnesota State Fair?
- Minnesota State Fair!
- Read & Ride Wednesday at the Minnesota State Fair