Feb 25 2009

Mail Pouch Barn in Ohio

Mail Pouch barn 1

We saw several of these when we were driving in Ohio.  They always intrigue me:  How were the letters painted so perfectly straight?

Mail Pouch barn cropped

To see more travel photos, visit Photo Friday at Deliciousbaby.

Published by at 5:15 am under Scenic Drives and Byways
Tags: , ,

11 Comments to “Mail Pouch Barn in Ohio”

1. Beth F on 25 Feb 2009 at 6:55 am

I grew up in Ohio; thanks for the memories!

Beth F’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday (Feb. 24)

2. Liz on 25 Feb 2009 at 8:56 am

My cousins live in Ohio, and i remember seeing these when we went to visit!

3. Shari @ A Psych Mommy on 25 Feb 2009 at 12:56 pm

Reminds me of our road trip last year! thanks for sharing! Happy WW!

Shari @ A Psych Mommy’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday

4. minnemom on 25 Feb 2009 at 3:14 pm

Someone sent me this link: Last Mail Pouch Painter’s Obituary

It helps tell the rest of the story.

5. Lifecruiser on 25 Feb 2009 at 4:17 pm

I’ve never seen the signs until now, but I love that background story of it! Fantastic, what a life work this man did! Amazing.

Lifecruiser’s last blog post..Wordless Sale sign at 3280 feet

6. Jan Parrish on 25 Feb 2009 at 10:16 pm

I can’t help thinking how striking it would look with a fresh coat of red paint!

Jan Parrish’s last blog post..The Promise of Spring

7. Carolina on 27 Feb 2009 at 9:29 am

Great picture, and great story behind it. So it wasn’t stencils, that’s what I thought at first.

Carolina’s last blog post..Taking a Break in the Tiki Room

8. DeliciousBaby on 27 Feb 2009 at 10:04 am

What a great story. There are tons of buildings here in Seattle with fading ads on the side like that – I’ve always wondered about them, but never taken the time to research their history.

DeliciousBaby’s last blog post..Photo Friday: Sleeping Beauties

9. Dominique on 01 Mar 2009 at 6:23 pm

I still see these from time to time in rural areas. I’ve seen one or two with a really nasty repainting job, and I wished they’d just left the Mail Pouch sign in its faded state.

Did you see any of the Ohio Bicentennial barns when you were through the state? They painted 88 barns (one in each Ohio county) with the official bicentennial logo in 2003.

Googling “ohio bicentennial barns” will give you a bunch of links to this project…meant to evoke the Mail Pouch barns, I’m sure.
    Here are a couple

Quick overview of the project

A little Q&A about the last barn (Sandusky County) painted with the logo. You can see the logo at the top of this page.

10. minnemom on 02 Mar 2009 at 1:22 pm

We did see some of the centennial barns, but I didn’t realize they were one-per-county.

11. Driving the Backroads of Ohio on 05 May 2009 at 10:19 am

[...] the back roads east of Columbus, you may also come across barns painted with Mail Pouch tobacco advertisements, oil wells dotting the landscape, and rolling hills with winding roads.  Heading south, you can [...]