Jan 07 2009

Flight 93 Crash Site and Memorial near Shanksville, PA

Words cannot express the emotions felt here.

Flight 93 Memorial

Flight 93 Memorial 3

Flight 93 Memorial

To see more travel photos, stop by Photo Fridays at DeliciousBaby.

26 Comments to “Flight 93 Crash Site and Memorial near Shanksville, PA”

1. IM on About.com on 07 Jan 2009 at 5:58 am

I share with you the memory of those who lost their lives in Shakesville and in the other 9/11 sites. Thank you for reminding us of these peoples and places–May we never find ourselves in a situation where that can happen again.

God Bless America.

–Brandon De Hoyos
    Guide to IM, About.com

IM on About.com’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday: Hot and Tasty IM

2. June on 07 Jan 2009 at 5:58 am

Very sobering site. I heard there’s some difficulties going on re a permanent memorial getting built there. Hope all gets worked out to the satisfaction of all. The FDR Memorial is in Washington DC…a relatively new one.

3. Moms At Work on 07 Jan 2009 at 8:08 am

Many years later it’s still heartbreaking. I pray our country never again is faced with such tragedy.

Moms At Work’s last blog post..Has anyone seen my mommy mojo?

4. fraizerbaz on 07 Jan 2009 at 8:12 am

Wow. I’ll bet this is heart-wrenching to see in person.

5. Jenn on 07 Jan 2009 at 8:55 am

Very touching.

6. Sandra Foyt on 07 Jan 2009 at 9:03 am

Did you take the kids? If so, how did you discuss the memorial? I took my kids to Ground Zero and found out just how difficult this is to discuss, especially with the older child.

Sandra Foyt’s last blog post..How To Set Up Your Child’s New Computer

7. Sue on 07 Jan 2009 at 9:35 am

A very powerful image……

Sue’s last blog post..Feeding The Gulls

8. Amy on 07 Jan 2009 at 10:04 am

It’s true, sometimes there are no words.

9. Barbara on 07 Jan 2009 at 12:15 pm

How close do you live to this?

Barbara’s last blog post..Best Skin Care Product of 2008

10. Amber on 07 Jan 2009 at 12:32 pm

Wow. I’ve often wondered what was going on there as far as a memorial is concerned. You sure don’t hear much about this crash site, or even the Pentagon, really. Thanks for shedding some light on it. And thanks for stopping by earlier!

Amber’s last blog post..wordless wednesday #8

11. minnemom on 07 Jan 2009 at 3:24 pm

Barbara, we were nearby on our travels. (We live several states away.) It’s very close to the Lincoln Highway, covered bridges, “Gravity Hill,” and other Pennsylvania attractions. Strange to have it in the middle of other tourist things, but also a beautiful part of the country. Very poignant.

Sandra, the kids were with us, and it was a very difficult explanation. Actually, it was the second segment of our trip that included a 9/11 discussion. The first was at the memorial set up at the ferry terminal from New Jersey to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. These were not easy things to talk to the kids about; in fact, my husband had to help me with it as we approached the Flight 93 site because I couldn’t continue with the explanation.

12. Tara @ Feels like home on 07 Jan 2009 at 5:48 pm

You know, I don’t live all that far from this site (maybe 3 hours?), and I’ve never visited. The emotions of the whole thing still feel so raw, and it’s been years.

I’m going to visit the site. Thanks for the pictures and the push to do something I should have done long ago.

Tara @ Feels like home’s last blog post..The Epiphany

13. Rita on 07 Jan 2009 at 7:21 pm

Wow. You chose some good ones for Wordless Wednesday as they take your words away. Thanks for sharing.

14. Lynne on 07 Jan 2009 at 9:20 pm

Truly a site worth seeing, thank you for sharing. I can only hope that a permanent memorial gets built there for all to remember the tragic events of the horrible day.

Lynne’s last blog post..Wordless Wednesday – Freezing in Dallas

15. Beluga on 08 Jan 2009 at 9:42 am

Thanks for sharing..I wouldn’t have known. And, thank you for visiting my blog..:-)

16. Dominique on 09 Jan 2009 at 8:17 am

A permanent memorial would be a good thing because it would be a more lasting memory, although the heart-felt emotions expressed by the makeshift memorials are sometimes more interesting to me. Interesting way of displaying the things people left in the way of personal memorials here.

17. wandermom on 09 Jan 2009 at 9:36 am

We were in New York just months after 9/11 and visited the raw Ground Zero site. I’ll never forget how I felt. Your photo is sending the same shivers of emotion.
    Thank you for sharing.

wandermom’s last blog post..have baby will ski

18. Meg (Backpack to Buggy) on 09 Jan 2009 at 9:40 am

Wow. The organic memorial is far more powerful and moving than the politics over the permanent one. I don’t think of it as tragic as much as a memory to the strength of people to do the right thing when they can lose so much

Meg (Backpack to Buggy)’s last blog post..Family visits at Christmas: UPDATE – Illness, Playtime, Restaurants & Snacks and Packing

19. soultravelers3 on 09 Jan 2009 at 10:48 am

Thank you for sharing this. Blessings of peace and love to all of those involved and the families left behind. May we all work together to create a peaceful, cooperative world where such man made tragedies no longer occur.

soultravelers3’s last blog post..Reflecting On Our Family Travel

20. Jen @ Heading North After Naptime on 09 Jan 2009 at 7:34 pm

Thank you for sharing these moving photos…

Jen @ Heading North After Naptime’s last blog post..Photo Friday!

21. Debbie Dubrow on 13 Jan 2009 at 9:41 pm

Thank you so much for sharing these photos. Like Wandermom, I went to the crash site in New York not long after 9/11 and it was absolutely heart wrenching. It’s amazing how visiting the site brings back all those emotions from the first few days in such a short time.

Not sure if anyone has seen the book “Here Is New York: A Democracy of Photographs ” it’s an amazing documentary of the first days after 9/11

Debbie Dubrow’s last blog post..South East Asia With an Infant

22. [...] Flight 93 Crash Site and Memorial near Shanksville, PA Posted on Wednesday, January 7th, 2009 in Flight 93 Crash Site and Memorial – Comments: (21) Words cannot express the emotions felt here.To see more travel photos, stop by Photo Fridays at DeliciousBaby. [...]

23. [...] you want to temper the offbeat with the serious, the Flight 93 crash site isn’t far away.  It was a sobering end to our fun time at Gravity Hill. addthis_url = [...]

24. [...] Burnett, a Minnesota resident, was one of the passengers on Flight 93, and after the lockdown drill, which has certainly stemmed at least in part from 9/11, I found [...]

25. [...] more flowers and flags than most: that of Thomas Burnett, Jr., whose memorials we have seen in both Shanksville, Pennsylvania, and the Mall of [...]

26. [...] in Shanksville, Pennsylvania, at The Traveling Praters.  (The memorial continues to evolve; since our visit there, a permanent memorial has been [...]